Open Enrollment LMS Installation Guide
This document contains instructions on how to install the Open Enrollment LMS from POJO Software. The instructions are for the Windows platform, although Unix users should be able to adapt without difficulties. Please email feedback/suggestions to email@example.com.
Required Pre-installed Software:
You can acquire the latest version at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=211160.
Unzip the pojosoft-lms-*.*.zip to a temporary directory, we’ll called this the $TEMP_DIR$. After unzipping you should see an lms.war file and a database directory. The lms.war file is the WAR deployment file for Open Enrollment. The database directory contains db scripts for creating tables, constraints, and for populating reference data.
1. Download & Install MySQL version 5.x.
2. Create an InnoDB instance.
a. Open MySQL Administrator--> Start Variables -->Advanced Tab
b. Set Def. Char Set as utf8
c. Set Default Collation as utf8_bin
d. Apply changes.
3. Connect to the DB instance with MySQL query Browser, create a new schema called lmsdb with username lms and password lms. Or use the following mysql commands:
>mysql -u root -p
mysql> create database lmsdb;
mysql> grant all on lmsdb.* to lms@'%' identified by 'lms';
mysql> grant all on lmsdb.* to lms@localhost identified by 'lms';
4. You can use a different schema name and userid/password combination. If you do, make sure you set the hibernate.connection.url, hibernate.connection.username, and hibernate.connection.password properties in the lms.properties file correctly. The lms.properties file is located under WEB-INF/classes (inside the lms.war). Save the lms.properties file back into the lms.war.
5. Load the schemaDDL.sql script from $TEMP_DIR$\database\mysql folder and execute. This will create the Open Enrollment tables & constraints.
6. Populate the Open Enrollment reference data:
a. Open a DOS window and cd into $TEMP_DIR$\database\mysql\data folder.
b. Execute the loaddata.bat using the DB host name and the lmsdb schema as the first & second parameters, respectively. For example:
>loaddata localhost lmsdb
> sqlplus userid/password @schemaDDL.sql
> sqlplus userid/password @load_data.sql
Open Enrollment has been tested on MySQL 5.x and Oracle 9i & 10g. Open Enrollment doesn’t rely on any database specific features so it should run on any RDBMS supported by Hibernate. The ANT build file that comes with the Open Enrollment source code contains a task (the name of the task is schema-export) that generates the database schema DDL (by using the Hibernate mapping files) for any RDBMS supported by Hibernate. You must change the hibernate.dialect properties in the lms.properties file to a value that is supported by Hibernate. Click here to see a list of supported value. Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you successfully run Open Enrollment on other databases.
For Tomcat, drop the lms.war file into the [TOMCAT_HOME]/webapps directory. For other application servers, refer to their specific WAR file install instructions.
Restart the application server & point your browser at http://localhost:8080/lms/login.jsp. Replace port 8080 if necessary. The default admin userid/password is admin/admin. You can manage accounts after logging as admin.